Finding Peace in Nature: A Note from Our Executive Director
Dear Friend of WV Rivers,
I hope this note finds you and your loved ones healthy and safe. This past week has been quite a shock to our collective system with changes to routines and new safety measures to keep our communities safe. But a few things remain constant. Our great outdoor spaces, wild rivers and vast public lands remain a place of solace. Enjoying these special places is a balm for the soul. I encourage you to make time for fresh air and sunshine – while following the guidelines of the CDC.
Here at WV Rivers, we are in a fortunate position to keep our mission driven work moving forward with relatively little disruption.
In the meantime, we’ve compiled a list of resources to help you find get outside and find some peace.
- West Virginia’s State Parks are open. In an article on MetroNews, State Parks Acting Chief Brad Reed shares, “We specialize in social distancing in State Parks.”
- Here are some tips from Gear Junkie on safely recreating outside during the Coronavirus outbreak.
Trying to keep kids busy?
- The National Wildlife Federation, of which WV Rivers is the West Virginia affiliate, has made access to their entire digital collection of Ranger Rick magazines free! Ranger Rick is filled with nature based stories and activities to keep your kids engaged and busy.
- Head over to Discoverwater.org for fun activities all about water for kids ages 7-12. Learn more about how to use the website here.
- Project Learning Tree has shared activities you can do around your home to support a healthy environment.
As we all adjust to the changes in our lives, you can rest assured that WV Rivers isn’t going to stop doing what we do best – advocating for safe, clean water for all West Virginians. In two weeks the WVDEP will release their proposed revisions to toxin limits in our water quality standards. We’ll be ready to share what the proposal means and how you can get involved from your home.
To clean water and clean hands,
Angie Rosser, Executive Director