Eastern Panhandle Pipeline Stormwater Permit
Comment to WVDEP on Eastern Panhandle Pipeline Stormwater Permit
The West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection (WVDEP) has released for public comment the state stormwater permit needed for the Eastern Panhandle Expansion Project (EP Pipeline). You can submit comments on the EP Pipeline Stormwater permit through January 19, 2018. If you have questions, please contact Autumn Crowe, email@example.com.
ACCESSING AND REVIEWING THE PERMIT
Oil and Gas Construction Stormwater General Permit (WVR310880): For more info on this permit see our Guide to Stormwater Permits. View the permit application on WVDEP website.
Mountaineer Gas Company’s application for the EP Pipeline does not meet the requirements for the WVDEP Oil & Gas Construction Stormwater General Permit.
- Final mitigation or avoidance measures of geologically sensitive karst areas are not included in the application.
- Site-specific designs for stream crossing methods are not included in the application. Open cut crossings and underground boring is proposed, but the open cut method is not specified and there is no contingency plan for underground borings.
- No descriptions of stream bank restoration and stabilization are included in the application. Restoration plans for stream crossings must be included.
- The inspection frequency is not as stringent as other pipeline projects within the state. Inspections after 0.25 inch rain event should be required.
- No water quality monitoring is proposed. Monitoring is not required, but can be requested. Water quality monitors should be installed at sensitive stream crossings similar to the efforts being conducted along proposed pipeline routes in VA.
SUBMIT COMMENTS TO WVDEP BY 8PM ON JANUARY 19th
- By email with the permit number (WVR310880) in the subject line: firstname.lastname@example.org or
- By mail referencing the permit number (WVR310880) in your letter:
Director, Division of Water and Management, DEP
ATTN: Sharon Mullins, Permitting Section
601 57th Street SE
Charleston, WV 25304-2345