Job Posting: Development Officer
West Virginia Rivers Coalition (WV Rivers) serves as the statewide advocate for clean water and healthy streams for all to enjoy. WV Rivers is in a dynamic period of growth and is looking to hire a Development Officer to join our dedicated and talented team. This position will work closely with our organizational leadership to advance our fundraising program in support of our mission to conserve and restore West Virginia’s exceptional rivers and streams.
The Development Officer needs to be a creative self-starter passionate about engaging the public to invest in making a difference for West Virginia’s rivers. This position reports directly to the Executive Director, and will create, coordinate, and implement fundraising activities such as direct mail, face-to-face solicitations, grants assistance, membership and major gifts programs, special events, and various fundraising campaigns.
This is a remote work position; however West Virginia residency required.
Duties and Responsibilities
Individual Fundraising (50%)
The Development Officer will lead an exciting multi-year fundraising campaign focused on maintaining and expanding our current annual donors while cultivating a strong network of donors capable of making major and transformative gifts, both actual and deferred.
- Co-create and coordinate implementation of annual Fundraising Plan
- Work alongside Executive Director and Board Development Committee Chair to create annual fundraising plan
- Keep and maintain Fundraising and Donor Communications Calendar
- Manage Major Gift and Planned Gift Programs
- Develop and manage a portfolio of approximately 150-175 individual donors and prospects, as well as actively build a 24-month major donor pipeline through personal visits, correspondence, electronic and telephone communication. Document activities within a donor database and prepare call reports.
- Work with prospective major donors to determine interests that align with WV Rivers’ mission and strategic priorities to solicit and close planned gifts. Create and implement personalized cultivation/stewardship plans in order to increase engagement with the organization, move donors up the giving ladder, and maximize donor retention.
- Become immersed in the key strategies and initiatives of WV Rivers in order to best represent the organization to current and future philanthropic supporters.
- Build trusting professional relationships with colleagues, prospects, donors and volunteers, working together to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Meet specific metrics including 160 face-to-face visits per year and meeting additional fundraising goals for individual giving.
Foundation Grants & Corporate Giving (25%)
The Development Officer will write and assist with individual grant proposals, develop & track proposals and reports, research new funding opportunities and coordinate with programs and operations staff. The Development Officer will be responsible primarily for working with Foundations and Corporations contributing to general programming surrounding advocacy, education, and public policy.
- Foundation Grants – Focus will be on private, family, and community foundations, coordinating with the Executive Director and the Program Director.
- Corporate Giving – Apply for corporate grants, identify funding through corporate giving programs, and solicit sponsorships for events and programming.
Communications & Events (25%)
The Development Officer will take an active role in helping ensure our communications and events are both timely and effective so that the case for support of the WV Rivers is clear and resonates throughout the organization.
- Coordinate Direct Mail Appeals and Annual Appeal Mailing.
- Coordinate donor stewardship through follow-up contacts, donor engagement calendar and social media planning.
- Assist with the preparation of the E-newsletter and publications.
- Develop and distribute fundraising related press releases and announcements.
- Oversee the coordination and execution of membership and donor events.
Requirements and Qualifications
This employee must have a strong commitment to environmental protection and to the West Virginia Rivers Coalition’s mission, and be able to create a compelling connection between philanthropy and the conservation of our rivers.
- Preferred Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Communications, Marketing or Related Field. IMPORTANT: Applicants with significant fundraising or direct sales experience regardless of educational background are encouraged to apply.
- 2-3 years of experience in non-profit fundraising or direct sales and confidence in ability to cultivate relationships with foundation, corporate, and donor communities.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and listening abilities. Must be personable, persuasive, energetic, creative, well-organized, detail-oriented, independent, flexible and hard working with the ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve goals.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), ability to write and proofread, and the ability to work independently successfully.
- Ability to set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities. Also, ability to assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the WV Rivers.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications; working understanding of, or ability to learn, cloud-based applications like Google Groups, Google Docs, Office 365, WordPress, Salesforce and Salsa; familiarity with editing and design software is a plus.
- Preferred experience with data and metric-driven fundraising and sales strategies, such as donor pipeline development, targeted marketing, and audience-based communication.
- Experience with or willingness to learn a constituent management database including processing information, creating campaigns, pulling reports, and analyzing results.
- Familiarity with local environmental/water quality issues a plus.
- Comfort with a remote working arrangement and frequent travel, at times outside of regular business hours.
Competitive non-profit salary and benefits commensurate with qualifications and experience. This position has been developed to grow with the organization and the employee’s performance over time. This position is designed to progress into a Directorship as skills develop, metrics are met, and responsibilities increase.
To apply: Email a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com. Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis, position will be open until filled.
WV Rivers aspires to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity at WV Rivers translates into understanding and valuing all perspectives in order to fully accomplish our mission and vision for clean water for all. Candidates must share a commitment to fostering values of diversity, inclusion, equity in justice in all aspects of our programming and advocacy.