Reports to Program Director
West Virginia Rivers Coalition (WV Rivers) serves as the statewide advocate for clean water and healthy streams for all to enjoy. WV Rivers is seeking a Communications Coordinator to join our dedicated and talented team. This is a full-time position with benefits, and operates remotely within West Virginia.
The primary function of the Communications Coordinator is to work closely with staff to execute external communications strategies across programs and campaigns including water policy, climate, public lands and regional watershed advocacy. The ideal candidate has experience using digital media platforms, strong written communication skills, and interest in encouraging citizen advocacy to protect water resources.
- Coordinate and support development of external communications, marketing and advocacy materials from print to digital with programming, fundraising and executive staff.
- Develop and manage all digital communication tools including website, social media and member engagement platforms.
- Manage supporter database including importing contact lists, grouping supporters by issue, and segregating lists for mailings. Conduct database maintenance, check data integrity and fix errors.
- Work with program staff to develop messaging and short-term communication plans and long-range communication strategies for programs, projects and campaigns.
- Establish and track outreach and engagement metrics for reporting, evaluate performance and identify areas of development.
- Coordinate organizational presence at events and outreach opportunities.
- Coordinate production and inventory of branded outreach materials as a way to reach new supporters.
- Manage press lists and assist with media outreach.
- Manage incoming communications via office phone, mail, and general email inquiries.
- Provide support with donation processing and donor data entry.
Desired Experience and Attributes:
- At least 3 years of experience in professional communications for coordinator-level, or at least 5 years of related experience for manager-level consideration.
- Skilled in developing and managing digital platforms; skills/experience in working with Salsa Engage or other Customer Relationship Management Software and WordPress content management systems preferred.
- Skilled in social media management, such as Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, and Instagram.
- Willingness and ability to learn and understand new technology and software programs.
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent written communication skills, including effective persuasive communication to inspire action.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite products, including experience in Excel, Word, and Power Point.
- General comfort and confidence with working in technologies designed for remote working environments.
- West Virginia residency and valid driver’s license.
- Interest in environmental advocacy and a willingness to deeply engage with water quality issues in our state.
- A commitment to equity and justice and in supporting WV Rivers’ growth in this area.
- A strong passion for WV Rivers’ mission.
The salary range for this coordinator-level position is $32,000 – $37,000 and is dependent upon experience and qualifications. Higher qualified and experienced candidates may be considered for elevated manager-level responsibilities and compensation scale of $37,000 – $42,000. WV Rivers offers a competitive benefits package that includes 80% employer-paid health insurance, beginning paid leave of up to 35 days annually, an employer contribution to a retirement plan, and a telework stipend. This is a full-time, exempt position.
How to apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will be open until filled, with consideration of candidates beginning March 10.
About West Virginia Rivers Coalition
WV Rivers is the statewide voice for water-based recreation and clean, drinkable, swimmable, and fishable rivers and streams–from the headwaters to wherever water flows in West Virginia. We’re also the West Virginia state affiliate of the National Wildlife Federation and a licensed program of Waterkeeper Alliance.
WV Rivers aspires to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity at WV Rivers translates into understanding and valuing all perspectives in order to fully accomplish our mission and vision for clean water for all. Candidates must share a commitment to fostering values of diversity, inclusion, equity in justice in all aspects of our programming and advocacy.